<$BlogRSDURL$>

Kya hua, kab hua, kyon hua, kidhar hua, kaise hua. Bas itna hi.

Monday, March 07, 2005

English August - a fine read 

Thanks to two days sick leave on account of fatigue and the weekend after that I managed to finish reading English August by Upamanyu Chatterjee. I had wanted to read this book for a long time and finally bought it from Strand (with a 20% discount). Enjoyed it throughly. It tells the tale of a westernized Indian who spends a year in the Indian mofussil (hinterland) as a IAS trainee. Its very irreverant and tongue-in-cheek and paints a very realistic picture of the life of an IAS officer-in-training. I also enjoyed watching the movie based on this novel starring Rahul Bose. My former Bihari roomie found the movie vulgar!

Planning to buy the DVD/VCD when I can find one. I'm also planning to get the sequel "Mammaries of a Welfare State".

English August is highly recommended and I plan to re-read the book after some time.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?